Bakuriani ski resort is located In the Central part of Georgia, at a distance of 180 km from Tbilisi, at a height of 1700 meters above sea level and among coniferous forests and snow – capped mountain peaks. Bakuriani ski resort was the first in the Caucasus. Now, winter holiday lovers from all over the world come here from November to may, which is half the year. In winter, there is no shortage of snow, and the average temperature is about -5 °C.
Ski resort in Bakuriani
At the end of the 19th century, the picturesque views of this place attracted members of the Royal family and Bakuriani was destined to become a resort place. Due to the fact that there were no roads , it was proposed to build a railway, the so-called narrow-gauge railway, to connect the resorts of Bakuriani and Borjomi. It was designed by Gustave Eiffel , the same one whom the Eiffel tower in Paris is named. This road is still used today and it is very popular amoung the tourists.
Later, during the Soviet era, a ski resort was built here, and now Bakuriani is experiencing a revival. This is where the 2014 winter Olympics were planned to be held, if the right to host them went to Georgia.
There are 3 main reasons to choose Bakuriani:
- A mild climate with high humidity and a comfortable temperature. The combination of these natural phenomena allows you not to be afraid of acclimatization.
- The infrastructure here has a high level of development. Well-designed tracks of different levels and necessary equipment will not leave anyone indifferent.
- The convenient location of the resort is a great advantage. Nearby are Tabatskuri lake, the ancient Timotesubani monastery, the mineral resorts of Mitarbi, Tsagveri and Borjomi.
What routes are there in Bakuriani?
Bakuriani resort offers a ride on the following slopes:
- For beginners, the “Plateau” track is perfect – 0.3 kilometers and 10-12 degrees of slope will bring joy to both adults and children who first stand on a Board or ski.
- Especially popular descent “Kohtagora-2” has a length of 3000 meters with steep and gentle sections. Suitable for more experienced athletes.
- On the track “Kohtagora-1” should go to a professional or just very confident in their abilities tourists. 500 meters with a tilt angle of up to 52 degrees will add an exciting ride experience.
- The longest descent is “Didveli”, its length is 3.8 kilometers. It is revered by fans of freeride and gives a sense of freedom when descending a clean, unpaved mountain slope.
In addition to the 4 main trails in the resort of Bakuriani, there is one training, 0.1 km long, and it is located in the Central Park.
What to do in Bakuriani ski resort?
Winter entertainment here is standard, but exciting-skiing, snowboarding, sledding and skating, so that every vacationer can choose an activity based on age and interests. For thrill-seekers, there are ski jumps and Snowmobiling to the top of the mountains.Those who prefer cross-country skiing will undoubtedly be happy with the 13-kilometer route to the Tskhratskaro pass. As in other resorts in Georgia, you can ride horses in Bakuriani. This type of leisure is perfect for exploring the indescribable views of the snow-capped mountains of the Caucasus. A national Park is located near the Bakuriani ski resort. Here you can drink the healing waters and relax in the Borjomi hot pools.
How to get to Bakuriani
It should be noted the favorable geographical location of the resort in relation to major cities and airports. The distance to Tbilisi, Kutaisi and Batumi airports is 155km, 185km and 300km respectively. The best option is to make this journey on an organized transfer. There will be no difficulties, even if you are traveling on your own: you can take a taxi, bus, or take the railway.